The Garth is situated on Cannock Chase, an area of outstanding natural beauty, surrounded by bracken-covered hills and heathland with superb
landscape views. it is about 4.5 miles South-East of Stafford and close to Shugborough Hall.
A half acre of garden surrounds the house and contains a wealth of interesting and unusual shrubs and herbaceous plants. There are many rhododendrons and azalea species, numerous mixed herbaceous borders and raised beds. Careful design and selection of plants, bulbs and shrubs provide colour and interest throughout the year. The garden is of particular interest to flower arrangers with many unusual and specialist foliage plants and an extensive collection of hostae.
The house is built on a sandstone ridge and the gardens incorporate several rock-hewn caves and a shade garden.
The Garth was originally built in the late 19th century as the Cannock Chase golf club with a thatched roof but was subsequently reroofed after a disastrous fire as a private house in 1923.
Visits to the gardens from flower arrangement clubs, Women’s Institutes and other social groups and coach parties can be arranged for most afternoons throughout the year and for light evenings in the summer months.